Thursday, March 5, 2009

My Last Day in Sonseca

This is the last entry I will write on here from Spain. In two days (God and RyanAir willing) I will be home in the United States.

This is hard to wrap my mind around, in truth.

Today was my last day of work and my students surprised me. I entered the first classroom to see the blackboard covered in goodbye scribbles and inside jokes. My students presented me with cards and presents, and I was very touched. They gave me a watch and a bracelet, as well as a package of warm socks. We spent the rest of the time just talking, and they told me to come back to Spain and work as an actor, because I would always pretend to cry or get angry when they teased me.

I went to 2nd A's class, which has always been my favorite. They gave me a silver bracelet with my name on one side, and the other side engraved with "Your students in 2nd A." Next was a picture of the whole class in a very nice and heavy frame. They asked me to read aloud the accompanying letter, and I got choked up (which secretly they had all been hoping for). They were pleased with the proof that I would miss them, and we said goodbye.

Now it is all memories. Or something like a memory.

This has been a very hard five months, as you know. It hit me yesterday that I really feel like myself for the first time in a long time. For so long, my identity couldn't really progress past "wounded," and that was all I felt. It hit me that it must have been incredibly hard to be my friend the past few months, as I was not just far away but also far from who I am. But you all have been here for me.

I received letters. And packages. There was never one day where I hadn't received new messages on Facebook. You listened to me ask questions that no one could answer. You prayed for me over Skype. You wept with me and for me. You wrote to tell me that you liked my songs. You wrote to say that you thought of me when you heard "Great is Thy Faithfulness" at church. You wrote to say that you thought you saw me on Harding campus. You wrote to say that you thought you saw me at church. You wrote to ask when I was coming home, so that we can hang out. You wrote to say (in different words) that you haven't forgotten me. You wrote to say that you love me.

Thank you all. Thank you. Thank you. I was hurting over not being shown love, but you all were doing just that all this time. My life is full of beautiful people. My heart is full of gratitude. And it is healing, slowly but surely.

Thank you.

9 comments:

Xerox Kitty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I love you, Lucas. So much.
-Laura Jean

Anonymous said...

Also, I was the "author" who left a comment and then deleted it. Didn't realize what I was doing. (Didn't realize I was logged in.) oops

emily said...

It's about dad-gum time you started noticing that people love you. Sheesh.

:)

Anonymous said...

Lucas! I appreciated this post.

You should know, it was worth it from our end as well. I (we) love you dearly and am glad you are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
also, we're dang glad you're coming back to the states.

The Mrs. said...

:) I'm very glad to hear you're feeling more like your usual self. Good luck transitioning back to America. If you ever come up my way, you had better call to hang out. Otherwise, I'll hate you forever. Or something like that but less horrible-sounding. Because really I'm not a horrible person. Really! ...Okay, kind of. Miss you!

Anonymous said...

also, just noticed that my account was set up to say the mrs., which makes it sound like I'm your mrs., which is not the case. Whoops. :)

Cole said...

Let me know when you are back in town my friend. We need to hang out!
~Coco

Anonymous said...

I guess this was awhile ago considering you've been back in the US for...okay, i have no concept of time, I have no idea. Anyway, I'm sorry I didn't keep up with you more and help you more. I did and do pray for you, though. I'm glad you have friends who love you, it's a wonderful feeling, isn't it? I love you, too.