Monday, January 25, 2010

Clarity

Some of you know this and some of you gathered this from my last post, and some of you don't care but the truth is: I am applying to be a 911 Telecommunicator (or dispatcher, if you like) and have been for some time (PHEW what a relief to get that off my chest). I put in my first application when I moved here in June, and have been going to tests and interviews since September, back when I was a wee lad of just 23 years.

Some of you know this, too: I am very ready to have a decent job, and to earn a living. Now that I'm a fully mature man of 24, this seems to be right and proper. I have not written much about this "decent job" that I am seeking because it would be embarrassing not to get hired and then to have this failure memorialized in digital form.

This job really would be a dream come true, though. The job description is "helping people." I would get to talk to a lot of strangers each day, probably often in Spanish. The pay is respectable and more than sufficient. And frankly, it would be a nice end to this losing streak I can't seem to shake.

And so. I had a moment of clarity last Wednesday when we opened 1 Peter (written to a bunch of people stuck in one big losing streak) to read, "set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed." It hit me then that I have been putting a bit too much hope into this job, and indeed into a lot of things that are all, simply put, beside the point.

While I still very much want this job and the chance to help people (not to mention the chance to pay my rent consistently), there are better things ahead. It would be easy to become very stressed about this and whether or not I get hired, but when put in perspective of heaven I know it is a want and not a need.

But I DO need a decent job; I will allow that. Hopefully it will come sooner than later, just like heaven.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey. I just stumbled across your blog and I'm really loving it. I'll definitely be following.

Feel free to check out mine, I think you'd especially love it.

http://theboyfriendshopper.blogspot.com/

帳號 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mercilouslia said...

Haha, hope that you don't think that this is creepy or anything, but I've started to read your blog.

You can do it. While a decent, well-paying job is an enjoyable stability for anyone--don't give up on any of your dreams !

sirenicdiva said...

I also just stumbled across your blog, and I really enjoy reading what you write. I hope you get the job you seek, a 911 dispatcher is an admirable job to seek. They save a lot of lives. Keep your chin up and keep headed toward your dreams. Don't give up.