Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Te Amas?

Last night I had another class with the second-year students (14-ish in age) and despite my plans we just talked. They asked later to hear one of the songs I wrote and to see some photos I've taken, so I showed them a bit of what Colorado looks like. We marveled together at Hanging Lake and Mt. Redcloud and jokingly made plans for a class trip there.

A picture of my ex-girlfriend came on the screen and I immediately closed the program. I became quiet and let the students talk for a while before Amaya asked me an incredibly insightful question: "Te amas?"

"Do you love yourself?"

I paused for a second because I had never heard the verb "amar" with agreeing subject and object. It is always "I love her" or "she loves him," never "you love you." I realized what she meant, and then took pause at the question itself. I changed the subject, then thought about it the rest of the night and into the morning.

Yes, is the answer. But it is hard to feel like much of anything these days after being treated like I'm nothing for quite some time. There are echoes of Things She Said that follow me, but these are not true besides being wrong. And there is guilt that she and I share that could have dealt with, but it only went ignored and denied. And there is the simple fact that now it is only too easy to pretend that the entire relationship never existed, just like all those mistakes.

Is this what it takes for some people to say "me amo"?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you arrived at that answer. I had forgotten you had a blog, I've not been good at find those since facebook took over my life.:) Lucas, I'm glad you love yourself and I hope you realize that there are people who love you dearly (and keep like a hundred pictures of you that you have taken of yourself...though I admit I don't often look at them because that would be weird), even if a certain someone may not love you (which I know at moments you may feel like you would trade those others loves to have that one person love you). I love you and goodnight, or good day for you.

Courtney said...

i am very sorry that it takes such life events to come to such wonderful conclusions, but am glad that you do love yourself!

also, what DO you think my blog is about??