Sunday, December 9, 2007

Love is not against the law

Shane Claiborne came to town last night and spoke in a high school's gymnasium. He summed up his book with his striking and surprising southern accent and then fielded some questions. He said some marvelous things.

For one, he mentioned that singleness is almost frowned upon in the church. This is true. When a man gets to be about forty or so and is unmarried, people start to talk a little bit. And singles classes are, like Shane intimated, essentially dating services. But it is a time when one can be completely devoted to God for love. Completely promised to him.

And he mentioned that if singleness were celebrated more in the church, people who choose to be so due to being attracted to the same sex would feel less alienated.

Very interesting thoughts.

Another great thing was a quote by Mother Teresa, saying that we cannot do great things, but we can do little things with great love.

All my life I've wanted to change the world. I've wanted to write a book or sing a song or take a photograph that makes people think and changes them and leaves them closer to God. But not just them, but all of their friends and families and pets and etcetera! I've wanted to be able to speak to a crowd and make them laugh and then make them think and make them jealous of my abilities and make them love God.

And so I've waited and waited for my mediocrity to pass.

I'm sorry to say that it has not. I will do no such things.

So I will teach. And be poor. And love.

And so now I just need to learn to love well.

2 comments:

-Megan J W- said...

:-)

your already on a path to great love...if that makes since. you have a great and loving heart. just think of how much love you will share with your school kids if you learn to love even more. your students will truly cherish you.

Anonymous said...

I kinda wanted to go to that guy's presentation. Those are some interesting thoughts.