Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Life Lessons from Old Women

Every other Tuesday, several of the advanced-age women at our church meet here to put together quilts. They give these quilts to sick people, to children pulled out of abusive homes, to families who have lost loved ones, and so on. They also gave me one after my first summer here.

This summer, they have taken to inviting me down for lunch with them when they take a break from working. It is typical potluck fare, including some homemade bread, so I always join them.

And I love it. I try not to talk at all, so I can hear all the more, but I still am fascinated that 60-70-year-old women would talk to me almost as a peer, instead of asking me what I want to be when I grow up.

Sometimes I just sit and listen to them talk over each other detailing their personal ways of cooking oatmeal or what diets they have tried, what items they forgot or lost in the past week, or their gripes over crummy businesses in town (especially automotive services). But my favorite is learning from them.

They talk of the rare times their husbands will do the dishes, the times when husbands are practically obligated to do the dishes, wishing their husbands would let them help with projects around the house, the special vacations they took before they had children, the different-sort-of-special vacations when kids did come along, going camping with the whole family, and all the little day-to-day moments that gradually and then suddenly make up a lifetime.

Frankly, I can't wait to share this with someone. I want to grow old with someone. I can't wait to share stories with friends and grandchildren, to brag on my wife. I can't wait to take a picture with her in front of our first house. I can't wait to debate over names for children and paint colors for rooms and when I am going to get around to fixing the heater. To ask her to hold something while I frantically pound nails into it off-kilter, to work on her car, to surprise her with breakfast in bed (french toast, maybe), to drive across states with her, to serve her.

I am glad that men don't read my blog, haha. Well, I don't think anyone reads it anymore, so my masculinity will remain intact. I'll write about sports next time.

5 comments:

-Megan J W- said...

haha...your blog still gets read friend...and you can write about your hopes and dreams you have with your future wife all you want...because it lets us girls know that there are guys out there that care about things like that and wish for things like that. and that makes us (me at least) a happy person :-)

miss you friend

Anonymous said...

Whoever snags you is going to be the luckiest girl in the world. I am so proud of you and the fact that you really know how to treat a lady, and on top of that WANT to treat a lady in that fashion. You are the best and I love you to pieces.

Jess said...

Ahhh Lucas, friend. If you were trying to melt girls' hearts with this...you have succeeded.

But I know you are sincere, so it's totally okay.

You're just...special. really.

Cole said...

i pretty much ditto everything in megan's comment :) ~Coco

Anonymous said...

you won't write about sports...