Sunday, November 18, 2007

Homeward Bound!

Well, more specifically, I already AM home.

The drive was not so bad and was relatively short. I didn't even use the restroom once on the trip! It's okay to be impressed.

My city has changed. It has left me behind.

I instinctively looked around at all the people when I entered this coffee shop, although my fears were proved true when I recognized not one of the pairs of eyes that were locked on their newspapers, coffee, or loved ones.

Of course, this was a common occurrence even when I lived here, as there are about 700,000 people here, but I think I need something here. I'm looking for some familiar feeling or pair of eyes that will anchor me back to this place that used to be home.

Am I home?

Is there home, anymore?

I used to leave my front door and meet homeless people and fall in love and sing songs and dream about all the potential that I was sure I had. And dream about whom I'd fall in love with. And wonder when she'd get here. And wonder when I could bring her home.

Am I home?

Is there home, anymore?

I would walk down the streets on overcast days like today and fall in love and sing songs and dream. Now I just drive through them. Always on the way to somewhere else to dream of some other time and being there with someone.

I left Arkansas on Friday and kept looking over, half-expecting someone to be in the passenger seat with me on the ride home.

Am I home?

Is there home, anymore?

Louisville used to make me sing of love! Where have all these dirges come from?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lucas,
It was nice to read your post, simply for the fact that you wrote it, and its like a piece of you that you left for the world to find you.

A city where familiar eyes have become no more...create the need.
The need for friendship! make friends and more friends and eyes will pop with glow all around.

But I dont know particulars...lol. I just like making friends.

Blessings my friend,
~Tina