Thursday, November 15, 2007

A Short Story

Well, as intellectually stimulating as the conversation surrounding the last post was (thank you, Megan, for writing; to everyone who reads this and doesn't write: up yours), I thought I'd post for the last time before break by sharing a stupid short story that I wrote in my head while on a road trip once. I tried to make it as bad as I could.

Just kidding about the "up yours" part.

Here it is:



The white lanes of the road rushed by him into the dark night like hundreds of bunny rabbits strafing him at high speed. Gordon had lost count of them long ago. His CD player lay by his feet, motionless and useless due to the short lifespan of his overused rechargeable batteries.

Gordon didn't mind the silence; he could use this time to think.

But thinking made him sleepy.

Three tears rose to his eyes as he bemoaned his situation. His cell phone was low on battery and no one was calling anyway.

Gordon needed a miracle.

"God," he prayed. "I am getting sweepy, and I still have a couple of hours left to drive. Please rescue your servant! If you follow through on this, I'll so owe you big time."

He amen-ed the prayer and looked around for a sign that he had been heard. Figuring the billboards were a good place to start a search for signs, he stared intently at invitations to rest well, eat well, spend well. There was nothing obviously divine here, although he was mildly intrigued at the prospect of joining "Midnight Disco, a Gentleman's Club." Sadly (on many levels), Gordan was not technically a gentleman as he was not a landowner.

Running out of options, he turned on the radio to find his Sign. Static-surfing yielded no results until he switched to FM. He stared so hard at the console that the car began to weave about the lonely road. If the lanes had actually been white bunny rabbits, they surely would have been destroyed.

Searching the high end of the spectrum, his hand froze on the dial when the distinctive bass-and-beat of Tag Team's "Woop (There it is)" filled the car.

Three more tears rose in Gordon. Only these were happy tears, like when the grocer gives you too much change in return or when no one notices that you farted at a dinner party.

Gordon was elated.

"Now I know that God exists."


THE END


I imagine that you think less of me now.

I'm fine with that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It appears that you have an affinity for ridiculous story-telling. I seem to remember cooperating with you on a story that included three children talking to a stream and being nearly gobbled up by a grizzly bear before being saved by a lawyer. Good times.

Oh, and up yours, too.

courtney said...

so i was going to say something ridiculous and snide and then i saw that the tag for this post was "impressive literature" which deserves much laughter and applause....i hope you can hear it from england!

Cole said...

For an apparently ridiculous story, I was actually rather amused. Thanks for the smiles :)