Saturday, January 19, 2008

"Iota Chi Sucks"

It's my first Saturday back here in Searcy, and I'm in the library. How horrible it is to be a senior! Don't you pity me so much?

I am in one of the small personal study rooms, and as is my custom, I read all of the graffiti on the walls upon entering. I am something of an afficionado of graffiti, in truth really enjoying it. I don't know why people feel compelled to fill blank space with non sequiturs and movie quotes, but I guess it is the same compulsion that leads people to write, to sculpt, and to blog. We all want something that will outlast ourself and remind people that we once were, even though soon we will no longer be.

To my left, a girl wrote "I'm engaged!" and someone appended that with some crude remark that someone else felt compelled to erase into a smudge. Another girl wrote, "Help me to succeed. . .help me to reach my goal. I can do it! :)"

Then to my right, men wrote "Punk is not dead!!" and "Wash your hand after you poop!!!"

And of course there are the obligatory phallic scribbles and testaments that "Iota Chi sucks."

I suppose I should start studying now. No, wait! I see a free couple of square inches up in the corner. . .

No comments: