Monday, January 28, 2008

Random Memories

If any of you used to read my Xanga, you may remember my old habit of posting memories when surprised at the synapses firing in such a manner. Like the smell of my Bible reminding me of muggy summer days reading in front of my window, or a song reminding me of a girl singing it to me on the way to Little Rock, and so on.

Memory One: my Junior year of High School, my then-girlfriend was obsessed with any and all things Disney, and so I began to keep my ear to the ground for new Disney things that she might like. This included stooping to enter the Disney store at the mall, something I had previously sworn never to do. She mentioned a new DVD coming out with a "special edition" packaging of a movie she had never owned, but left it at that. I went to a few Targets and never found it until chancing upon it in a Circuit City. Taking it to the cash register, I was so happy to have found it that I forgot to be embarrassed until the cashier cocked his eyebrows and shot me a carefully supercilious look. I suddenly remembered the obligatory shame and explained, "it's for my girlfriend." But I felt a special pride at having a girlfriend to shop for and to talk about to strangers, and I unexpectedly wanted to go buy more feminine items so that I could have the same limited conversation with cashiers.

And she gave me quite a smooch when I surprised her with the DVD.

Memory Two: I was just reading the Gospel of Mark a few moments ago when I came across a passage of the Pharisees trying to trick Jesus. I could hear the exact words being spoken by the voice actors on the New Testament on CD that I borrowed from my then-girlfriend last February. I listened to a good fourth of the New Testament while driving to visit my Grandfather for the last time before he died, and I can see the exact stretch of highway on my side when I heard that passage from Mark. I spent half of the drive crying for my dying Grandfather and the other half crying for feeling alone, spending so many hours on the road without saying a word. When I returned I neglected to return the CDs to Meghan for quite some time, because I wanted them for reminding me of Grandaddy. In fact, I did not give them back until we broke up a month or so later. I don't even remember when that happened.

No significance here. Just a look into my cluttered mind.

4 comments:

Cole said...

i'm sorry about memory 2, but memory 1 was cute. girls love it when guys do things outside of their comfort zone... like buying disney movies :P

-Megan J W- said...

...so, thanks for the nice 'warm fuzzy' story at the beginning and getting our hearts ready to be filled with more joy...and then ripping it out!

eh, maybe it wasnt that dramatic...but still...

at any rate, i liked the peak into your mind though a bit bi-polar it might have been

<3

Anonymous said...

Where did you get the name of your blog from?

Anonymous said...

inappropriate