Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Vague Movie Review!

I watched "Juno" for the first time last week at the behest of one of my teens out here and was mildly entertained but worried nonetheless. I feel that it is continuing a dangerous and bothersome trend that I noticed a couple of years ago while watching "Little Miss Sunshine" of films that blur the line between indie and mainstream.

Keep in mind there is no innate benefit or problem in being either of the two, but each category of cinema brings with it certain expectations. One such expectation for independent offerings USED to be a lack of formula and a general sense of excitement for exploring different realms than you would see while watching Will Smith fart and dance on a huge screen.

(I still kind of hate Will Smith)

I've heard a lot of criticism for Juno's ridiculous dialogue, but I saw in it a hint of surrealism that I felt lent itself well to the larger overwhelming ordeal of teenage pregnancy as well as helping the audience look at events through the still-childlike perspective of the child protagonist.

More troubling in my mind was the sense I got that the movie was a variation on a theme, perhaps an innovative paint-by-numbers. It was even complete with quirky supporting characters and intentionally eclectic music that is too low-fi for radio but pop enough to let morons still like it and bop to it on their iPods.

It is just a shame, I feel, to reduce the possibilities of independent art by aiming for the pop side of the spectrum and following directions and formulae. Even if it is a hit like Juno, it still feels like a hollow accomplishment, like making a baking soda volcano that outshines all the other baking soda volcanoes at the science fair.

I coined a term for this while on my bike this morning, but googled it to find it already in use. Go ahead and propogate it as seen fit: trindie.

Get it? Trendy + indie = trindie!

. . .not as impressive as I had hoped, eh?

1 comment:

Jess said...

Lucas. You should love this.

http://www.cracked.com/article_16450_if-happening-was-10x-shorter-100x-more-honest.html

I posted a link to it on my blog awhile back. Zheen-yuuus.