Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"Rocio was Doing Poop." Yikes.

This is what you get when you play a game with thirteen-year-olds, haha.

Today I had class with a small group of students to focus on using the past continuous tense but they were not in the mood to do work in their books. I suggested we play the game where each person adds one word until you have a semi-coherent story that satisfies all. Towards the end the students began suggesting each others' names for added hilarity. Here are the results:

"I was playing tennis on bed and I was dancing in my house. The dog was running by my bedroom crazy. The dog was crashing to the grandmother. The cat was crashing in the wall with happiness. The object was broken.

"The trees were crazy but I was silly. He is handsome, and I am pretty. We are studying for the competition. Elena is playing with her Barbies and Marta was thinking about the Barbies but she is crazy and silly. Elena was singing and she was sleeping. The rabbit has a tail and it was beautiful.

"Rocio was lying down in the bathroom. She was doing poop. Lourdes was doing poop and she was smoking."

I laughed so hard at the phrase "doing poop" that I decided not to correct them, so as not to spoil the future enjoyment of whatever English speaker they come across many days from now.

Later in the afternoon I used an episode of "The Office" in a lesson, which feels like a moral victory. I pretended not to hear when my student asked the meaning of the phrase "that's what she said."

4 comments:

The Mrs. said...

oh gosh. I love the kid asking about "that's what she said." hahaha. Great story!

Cole said...

hahaha this is wildly entertaining! :-)

Anonymous said...

This post made me giggle like a little girl!

Hilarious.

I, for one, think you should make a new song out of the story your students have written for you. They gave you the lyrics- Put it to music!

And kudos for using The Office in a lesson!

yblehs said...

hilarious.

doing poop reminded me of that clip from that movie that the kid is talking online and he says he wants to poop back and forth. forever.

i think the movie is called you and me and everyone we know