Saturday, January 24, 2009

Toledo Again

Last weekend I went to Toledo three times in two days, each time with or to meet different people. It was a lot of fun and was worth getting no sleep. But this weekend I wanted to take a "different" kind of trip. So I did.

Yesterday was a gorgeous sunny day and I left the house with no jacket, taking only my camera and my Bible with me. I took the same bus as always but got off before entering the city, deciding instead to walk some trails through the pseudo-mountains. I walked slowly and deliberately trying to avoid being thrown off any rocky ledges by the strong wind.

I found footpaths and bridges that I had never taken before, so I followed them into the city. Beyond them were old ruins I had never seen before, so I explored them. Later there were turrets and bastions in the city's wall that I had never entered, so I climbed them and looked out over everything.

There were little villages that the local homeless had taken over and built up, old houses left to decompose artistically alongside the river, and playgrounds that no self-respecting four-year-old would use.

Lately things overall have been different, and for the most part this is a good thing. I am feeling different, and certainly not hurting like I once was. But for all this change and for all these different things I am experiencing, seeing, and feeling, there is just one thing that is no different at all: there is still only one person in the world that I wish I were sharing this with.

3 comments:

Elena said...

lucas, i love reading your blog. you're so interesting. miss ya.

elena

Cole said...

I admire your adventuresome spirit. I would love to have these traveling experiences. Thanks for letting me live vicariously!
-Coco

Anonymous said...

Find any St. John of the Cross historical markers in Toledo?? I sent you a message on facebook.Traveling to Harding tomorrow. Wish you were there so I could take you to Bobbies for a greasy breakfast.
blessings,
doug