Friday, March 28, 2008

Get on Your Bikes, Ride.

Today was a lovely day, based solely on the weather. Otherwise, it was hit-or-miss. A bit more of the latter.

I got another ticket on my car, and feel like a fool.

I took six Spanish proficiencies/exam-lettes and hope that I did not fail them, so that there are only three left for me to take tomorrow.

I got to my friends' art exhibit five minutes after they locked the gallery. They took down the display tonight.

I had to bail on a dear friend, and then turn down new plans with several others, for the sake of studying for those God-forsaken proficiencies.

I am now listening to my roommate smack his freaking lips at every bite he takes of his God-forsaken trail mix.

BUT.

But.

But today was the first really perfect day for riding my bike in I-don't-know-how-long.

Oh, I love riding my bike. I used to take her out every day I started to feel low last semester, pedaling as furiously as I could until my legs gave out and any bad memories had long since ceased following me.

I slowed while taking a steep rise in the road today, the strong wind beating back on my face along with gravity. Even in first gear, I had to work hard to get up and felt grateful for the difficulty, for the struggle that for once did not come as a result of my own poor decisions and mistakes. And as soon as I crested the hill, I could coast. I relaxed, held my feet out, and listened to the wind whistle in my sideburns.

If only real life were like this.

1 comment:

Cole said...

I'm glad you got to ride your bike again, Lucas. I wish I had my bike here. There's nothing like a good bike ride. Sorry for your otherwise crappy day though :(