Sunday, March 2, 2008

Here.

I am here. I am in Hawaii.

We flew from Little Rock to Dallas and spent $70 at McDonald's as a group. While we ate, I switched Kaitlin's Coke with my Dr. Pepper, and waited for her to take a shocked sip. We shared Hot Mustard sauce and laughed.

Still at DFW, I went to the restroom to put in contacts, as I was tired of my glasses. After rifling through my backpack, I realized I didn't have the contacts case with me, and began to put my stuff together to leave. Then a man rushed in (and it was an awkward rush, because it's a bathroom and you know what a man in a hurry means there) and was not satisfied with any of the three stalls present. So he continued on to try the next stalls, unaware that there were no more stalls but in fact there was a mirror. So he hit pretty hard, made an "Uhhhhhooohhh" sound, and then exited rather than wait after having shamed himself.

Then we flew to Hawaii. Hahaha. It sounds so easy! We watched two very emotional movies, "Enchanted" and "Apollo 13," which were emotional for different reasons. The latter's reason being that it was an aerial disaster film, and we were above a large amount of ocean.

We landed. We are here, and it is more beautiful than imagined. We went to a house where three of the church's families cooked for us and welcomed us. Most of the Harding people found their way to the chips-and-salsa table, and I tried to resist to spend time with the adult males lounging in the living room. Our attempts at conversation were ill-fated, and I began to feel bad simply for being around and making things awkward (like when I play sports). So I ate chips.

Then one of the girls in the youth group here offered me a macadamia nut, which I promptly accepted and threw into my mouth. The texture was different, but I chewed anyway and it was a peeled clove of garlic. There was no trash can to vomit into, so I swallowed it and now I smell disgusting. So, long story short, Michaela and I are friends. Hahaha.

Tomorrow will be a good day. And there will be sunshine. Oh, thank God! I am glad to be here, and glad to be alive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it is so good to hear that so far the trip has been good.

your story of the man rushing into the bathroom at the airport made me laugh out loud...literally. that was really funny (so did the random comment about being awkward at sports)

:-D