Thursday, December 11, 2008

Changes

A common question I receive at school is that of where I live in the United States and what it is like there. This is sort of a difficult question, as I have had three homes in the past few years (Louisville, Harding, and Grand Junction). It is slightly more difficult, even, when you take into account that no one here knows the first thing about U.S. geography (and be honest: could you find Santiago de Compostela on a map?).

So sometimes I draw them a monstrous outline of the States, or a teacher will procure a map beforehand. And each time as I go over the map I find myself feeling, I don't know, a longing? a tenderness? a bit of, dare I say it, nationalism?

I never expected this, but I miss the United States.

As I explain the mountains and river in Colorado, the green hills of Kentucky, the. . .Arkansas, I feel closer to my country than perhaps I did while I was there. It is odd.

And so when my plane lands in a few months, I am going to do some exploring. Not any huge trip, but I want to see New York. A bit of New England. Then I want to take a friend along with me down some country roads in Kentucky.

Yes, this sounds right to me.


And two quick meta-notes: (1) I am not posting a song today because the wireless is down at my school and I am using an ancient computer. So maybe next week. (2) Sal, thank you for your comment. I just read it, and would like to keep hearing from you.

That is all for now.

4 comments:

Brooklynne said...

You should come see Boston, Sam and I could show you around. It's a truly beautiful city; a beautiful state, at that. And you should also make sure to visit Maine and New Hampshire. They're gorgeous! All much cooler than NY. It's cool, too, though, i guess.

notevenahint57 said...

Yes, I remember muffabiscuit. hahaha

I hope your homesickness isn't too unbearable. You are creating a lot of memories over there too. I really want to go to New York agian also! I only spent one day in NYC and that was 8 years ago...I didn't fully appreciate it.

A group of us are thinking of going to Destin, Floridia for spring break! If it all works out, it'll be a lot of fun.

Do they have Cinnamon Toast Crunch in Europe? Cause if not, I understand your longing to be back in the states.

maggie said...

you should come see philly. you'd have a place to stay and your very own tour guide! :) its not exactly "new england" but i suppose it would count.

Anonymous said...

Ah, Lucas, I can empathize with you completely. While stateside I felt no draw to the feelings of nationalism or pride toward my homeland. Being away from our culture, family, friends, language and being presented with countless opportunities to step back and think about what America was intended for, it makes me smile. It's still hard for me to love the place, but my appreciation for America has grown exponentially since living in Africa. I still think I'll globe trot before I make my way back home. I send my best to you my friend.