Tuesday, December 16, 2008

To Be Loved

In my head I keep hearing what my grandfather told me almost two years ago as he lay dying, "You can always tell when someone likes you." He said this in response to me telling him that I was proud of the man he was, and that my father thought the world of him. He first replied, "I know it."

To be loved is a wonderful thing. To know that you are loved, truly astounding. Here is a memory that helps keep me warm while Spain keeps getting colder.

This past summer I worked again with my church in Grand Junction, Colorado. I stayed later than normal, as I had no university classes to return to. It was different, trying to plan youth group stuff alongside all their school activities and seeing their attention fade and shift to other things, but it was a treat to be with them longer.

When my time came to a close, I had a lot of trouble in finding a good "last lesson" until deciding to tell them what I realized I hadn't explicitly said enough: that they are an amazing group of people, and I am proud of them. I am always impressed by their excitement in serving God and how good they are to each other, especially in light of the unhealthy aspects of my own youth group in High School. I them to have no fear in sharing the Truth and inviting others to church, because there is no place better for their friends to be welcomed, known, and loved. I added, "That is why I am coming back here, to be with all of you."

. . .and then they applauded?

I was surprised. Taken very off-guard. I hadn't even paused for a reaction, or effect, or anything. It is still confusing to think of. But it was humbling, and wonderful. It was a spontaneous display of love, and nothing could have proven my words about them better. It took a moment to steel myself for finishing the lesson.

It has been a while since I have felt loved. Especially like this. But to have my presence applauded, to be celebrated? It seems ridiculous.

But I suppose love usually does.

4 comments:

Cole said...

I liked the words of your grandfather, he seems like he was a lovely man. I am not surprised that the kids in the youth group applauded. I know you meant the world to them and they appreciated the way you stuck with them and cared for them. So from Searcy to Sonseca...I love you!

Cole said...

P.S. haha by the way...I didn't write that Yuletide Carol Riddler... It was something I had saved on the comp at Dad's from way back in high school. I found it this summer among some other funny things and saved them to my laptop. I thought it was fitting to post that one as a light-hearted approach to the holidays amidst the craziness of finals week and the end of the semester :)

Courtney said...

to be o so cliche....Love is a many splendored thing. It has the power to build us up and tear us down....in like the same minute!
Im glad you've had the chance to feel loved like that. I hope that you remember that applause when you feel down and that it warms you from the inside out, even in the coldest of weather.
It seems that our grandfathers taught us both something about love on their deathbeds.....mine sang me happy birthday (the first words in months, and last) days before passing.
Love you Lucas

Anonymous said...

Yes Lucas, I (we) are still applauding! Come home soon!!
doug in CO.