Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Bible Department Chapel

Chapel today was beautiful. It is rare that I can use that adjective (which I treasure and try not to overuse); the last time it was applicable was probably when Dr. Fortner spoke on lament. But today was inspiring.

There were three men seated in front of the entire Bible department, Jimmy Allen, Dr. Ken Neller, and Danny Matthews. Scott Adair asked them questions pertaining to their college experiences, and it was fascinating to get a look back at these great men before they became so.

Danny Matthews had studied under Neller, who in turn had studied under Jimmy Allen. And Danny had roomed with another faculty member, Tim Westbrook, who has never ceased to impress me with his care for others. And Neller mentioned being in school with Dr. Stockstill, with whom he had worked in Lexington, KY for several years. The way they spoke, they obviously held such respect for each other and truly loved as brothers.

It made me think of where I will be in thirty years. Will I have been faithful? Will I have done good things for my good God? Will I have created any work of beauty, be it song or photograph or poem or book, in keeping with my title of Son of the Creator? Will I have helped my family? Will I have failed? Will I have been a good influence on anyone?

Will I finally be a good man?

Oh, it is scary to think of what is not yet.

2 comments:

-Megan J W- said...

whatever you do, you will be great. this i know. anyone who knows you can see it.

the end.

Anonymous said...

you're already a good man, cracker.