Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine's Day

Well, it turned out to be a pretty good day, which wildly exceeded all expectations of it being nothing more than "a day."

In case you don't know this, and you probably don't, I hate holidays. They are pointless and usually based on consumerism, hardly ever based on love. People do things because, "well, it's the holiday! We're supposed to do this!" And thus people are upset when they don't receive chocolate animals and tiny cards with temporary tattoos, because that's what they are "supposed" to get.

A year ago, I came back from visiting my Grandfather for the last time and explained to my girlfriend that I didn't feel much like doing anything for V-Day. I was preoccupied with death and worried for my slipping grades from so many missed assignments, and she consented. Then on Valentine's Day she exploded after seeing so many girls with flowers and balloons and other worthless trinkets and made it quite clear that she was furious that I did not treat her like the Hallmark corporation says I should treat a girl, regardless of how many of my relatives were about to die.

She calmed down and we went to Little Rock to eat Thai food. I wondered to myself if this was part of why I hate Valentine's Day, that you have to do very little that is out of the ordinary but you paint something red and pay a little extra for it. I loved that girl every day we were together, but because on that stupid day the only heart she wanted was a chocolate heart, that wasn't enough.

But today my mother sent me a package. Today my friends sent little notes and reminders of love, with no reason. They were not forced to. And one dear friend sent me the sweetest gesture I can remember having ever received.

If only there were no Valentine's Day, and so we were forced to act like this all of the time. If you sent me something, thank you. If you didn't but still love me, thank you. And Kaitlin, thank you.

1 comment:

Kaitlin Shetler said...

No prob, friend.

Have you finished your manifesto, yet?